Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) A novel by Kody Keplinger


So far in The Duff, we meet the main character Bianca Piper, who is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. Wesley Rush, the (excuse my language) man-slut of the school tells Bianca she is the DUFF. She is the Designated Ugly Fat Friend. You see, Wesley Rush thinks to get Bianca’s friends to hook up with him; he has to converse with, befriend, and get along with the DUFF, aka Bianca. Of course, this novel doesn’t sound like the average story you’d tell your teacher about, but hey, I can only imagine some of the blogs he’s read.

Even though I’ve only started this book yesterday (*cough* last minute check out *cough*) every time I have the chance to read it, I do! It is the basic love story; the hot guy ends up with the not-so-popular girl. But somehow I just can’t get enough of this book. “Duff” is a new term that I’ve never heard of before, although the author was introduced to it during her senior year. The biography at the end says, “When I realized that my friends felt like Duffs, too, I knew I had to write this story.” Many girls in high school feel this – I know I do! And even though we may think it, it’s just a word some stupid, arrogant jerk says to make him feel better. I’m very excited to continue reading this book to figure out how Bianca overcomes her new “nightmare word,” being called the Duff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment