Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

 Now that I’ve finished The Duff, I’ve started a new book called The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney. When I picked it up, the first thing that caught my eye was the subtitle on the top of the cover saying “Hush little students, don’t say a word. . . .” Once I read this I just had to pick it up.

This book takes place at Themis Academy, a boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way- the Themis way. Alex Patrick, the narrator and main character in the story is date-raped during her junior year of high school by a guy named Carter, someone she would never be caught dead talking to. She is raped by him when she is sleeping in Richardson Hall. He is part of the water-polo team, the arrogant jocks. When she tries to decide what to do about her conflict, her best friend T.S. suggests going to the aid of the Mockingbirds, which is a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of the student body. Not many people know who the Mockingbirds really are, they have bulletin on the walls saying:

Join the Mockingbirds! Stand up, sing out! We’re scouting
New singers, so run, run, run you way to our New
Nine where you can learn a simple trick...

Though the secret of this bulletin, its code-all code- the Mockingbirds aren’t a cappella singing group, as they say they are. And its tryout time for the Mockingbirds this term. The Mockingbirds are the law.

So I haven’t read too much of the book yet, I’m on page 89. Not much has happened with the involvement of the Mockingbirds; Alex has just decided to go to them for help. I’m really anxious to find out how the Mockingbird group handles it, and what they plan on doing to “right the wrong” of Carter.

Alex’s sister Casey who is now in college is the creator of the Mockingbirds, who gets the name from the book To Kill A Mockingbird. This book connects the idea of Tom Robinson being accused of rape, and she thinks maybe she accused Carter of raping her. My next chapter is called Atticus And Boo Rolled Into One. I’m excited to read this chapter because this is where I can find out what the Mockingbirds are really all about, and how they go about to solve the problem. I really look forward to continue reading this book (I’ve read 89 pages in the last day and a half) and I’m really thinking about doing it for our book project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment