Friday, October 14, 2011

Boone Creek, North Carolina

So far while I’ve been reading True Believer, I’ve already noticed I enjoy reading this one more than Modelland. I’ve always been a Nicholas Sparks lover, so I know I’ll love the rest of this book. So far, the book started off a little slow. It started in medias res, and he was in a live studio audience, watching Timothy Clausen, which I think is something like the show Maury, where big secrets are spilled to spouses and family members. Later, you learn that Jeremy, the main character, is an investigative journalist who writes for the Scientific American. He’d exposed frauds, hoaxes, and forgeries. He visted haunted houses, searched for mystical creatures, and hunted for the origins of urban legends. He had the rare ability to explain difficult scientific concepts in a way the average reader could understand. Because of his type of journalism, he has to constantly think of stories he could write for in his column that also might have bigger magazines and newspapers, like the New Yorker, interested too. So for his column that he has next to write, he received a letter from a woman explaining that there is a cemetery in Boone Creek, North Carolina, and legend has it that the cemetery is haunted by spirits of former slaves. In the winter- January through February- blue lights seem to dance on the headstones when fog rolls in. I’m very excited to get to the part of Jeremy going to the cemetery at night to see if these lights are really true!!

No comments:

Post a Comment